You may have overheard people talking about booth rentals either on the show floor or through industry gossip. They say, “it’s sustainable!” or “the idea is interesting — but it’s not for us.” After hearing it all, you’re not quite sure what to believe.
When comparing the benefits of purchasing or renting a custom exhibit, you’ll probably come across outdated information about the benefits of custom rental exhibits. To help you sort through the noise, we’re busting the top three, most common custom trade show booth myths.
So, without further ado, let's dive into these a little bit deeper.
Myth 1: You Can’t Change Anything
One of the most common myths is that booth rental is like getting a house or a car where you’re stuck with one setup. On the contrary, you actually have many options available for you to customize your rental to your heart’s content. Everything from the actual setup to the individual features can be tailored to your unique needs.
A few things you can personalize include:
- Using graphics that suit your latest logos, color schemes, and product displays
- Changing your booth size to suit your marketing goals and your budget
- Updating features by swapping out different elements, including everything from basic furniture to major structural pieces
Myth 2: It’s More Expensive
Believe it or not, buying a booth requires significant up-front capital. To offset those high initial costs, most people plan on using their exhibit for up to five years. This almost never works out, however, because the costs associated with operating your booth tend to add up.
Things like shipping, handling, storage, and maintenance typically add up to 10–20% of your booth’s total cost, incurred annually. These costs don’t apply to rentals. In fact, booth rental offers:
- Lower per show costs. On average, it costs about $165/square foot to buy a booth. A rental is typically 70% less than that.
- No associated fees for storage, maintenance, and other logistics. Instead, your rental fee covers all operational costs.
- No shipping costs, which add up quickly if you’re exhibiting at multiple locations throughout the year.
Myth 3: It’s Only Good if You’re Exhibiting Once a Year
When you’re choosing an exhibit, it’s easy to fall into an ownership mentality. If you’re going to rent something multiple times a year, you may as well just buy it instead, right? Wrong.
Renting is even more advantageous if you exhibit multiple times a year, specifically because of its flexibility. When you rent, you can:
- Change your design every year, or every show, to reflect your most up-to-date marketing strategy
- Adjust your exhibit size or core elements to reflect your current budget
Custom rentals are a more affordable, more flexible solution for every trade show you attend. Opt for a rental and your booth will always match your budget and your marketing goals.
Don’t succumb to an ownership mentality. Find out more about the problems with purchasing a booth by checking out our white paper: 3 Pitfalls of Owning a Trade Show Exhibit.