Trade show pros know a thing or two about travel. If you’re an exhibitor, you probably spend about as much time in hotels and airports as you do at home. According to EXHIBITOR Magazine’s annual Travel and Accommodations survey, 46% of exhibit managers book all travel and lodging for themselves and their teams. An additional 36% said they book travel at least part of the time.
With all that time spent on the move, it’s no surprise that trade show managers are great resources for travel tips. And those travel tips matter! Trade show managers spend an average of eight hours a month on travel arrangements. Plus, travel costs account for 16% of exhibitors’ annual budget.
To help everybody save time and money, we're sharing the results of EXHIBITOR Magazine’s survey. The survey is full of awesome insider advice that can help you streamline your travel experiences, and get the best deals possible.
We’ve compiled a few of our favorite tips below, but you can find the full results of their survey here: 2018 Travel and Accommodations Survey.
Hot Tips for Hotels
- Book & Cancel Directly — Consider making booking and cancellation arrangements directly with the hotel, rather than through the show. You'll often get better rates and avoid costly fees.
- Negotiate Amenities — A majority of respondents negotiated directly with their hotel to get discounted rates and free amenities, like free WIFI, free use of meeting spaces, or room upgrades. Don’t forget, it never hurts to ask!
- Save $$$ with Convenient Locations — Look for a hotel that’s within walking distance to the trade show to avoid costly cab or rideshares to and from your accommodation.
Finding Better Flights
- Use Business-Directed Services — Business travel demands business solutions, which is why many exhibit managers use sites like Egencia, Expedia’s business travel offshoot.
- Book Flights on Non-Peak Days — Avoid booking flights on Mondays, Fridays, and Sundays, when travel is more popular and rates are higher.
- Join Mileage Programs — Loyalty programs and mileage clubs are a great way to get extra perks, like free baggage fees, and build points that your company can use for free flights. And familiarize yourself with the perks of your plan so that you can maximize the benefits.
We hope these tips will save you time and money the next time you have to travel. And, to help save you even more time and money, check out our new eBook: The Ultimate Guide to Designing a Trade Show Booth.